At CareRx Corporation, we recognize the importance of protecting your privacy and safeguarding your personal information.
As we are a national organization, this Privacy Statement is designed to meet the standards prescribed by the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act as well as applicable provincial privacy legislation.
The purpose of this Privacy Statement is to inform you about the types of personal information we collect, use and disclose. It explains how we collect, use and disclose that information, the choices you have regarding such use and disclosure, and how you may access and correct that information.
From time to time, we may make changes to this Privacy Statement. The Privacy Statement is current as of the “last revised” date which appears at the top of this page.
The following topics will be covered in this Privacy Statement:
Personal information is any information that is identifiable with you, as an individual (although it may not include your business contact information where collected, used or disclosed for business communication purposes). We may collect, use, and disclose different kinds of personal information, depending on our relationship with you. For example:
- if you are a customer, we collect the name, contact information, gender, date of birth, medication history and other health information, insurance information, and credit card information to complete transactions;
- if you communicate with us, we collect whatever personal information they choose to provide to us; and
- if you use our technology applications, we may collect technical and usage data (such as internet protocol (IP) address, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access our websites).
We will collect your personal information by fair and lawful means. We may collect personal information from you directly and/or from third parties, with your consent or as otherwise required or permitted by law.
We identify the purposes for which we use your personal information at the time we collect such information from you and obtain your consent, in any case, prior to such use. We generally use your personal information for the following purposes (the “Purposes”):
- if you are a customer, to provide health care and related products, services and programs you request;
- if you use any of our technology applications or online portals, to administer your use of those applications;
- to manage our business and our arrangements with our clients – including to detect and prevent errors and fraud;
- to respond to your inquiries, complaints or requests;
- to collect opinions and comments about CareRx;
- to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of our operations, products, services and programs;
- if you visit our premises, to ensure safety and security (which may include video surveillance);
- if you apply for employment with us, to process your application;
- to investigate legal claims;
- for such purposes, as you may otherwise consent from time to time; and
- as otherwise required or permitted by law.
We generally identify to whom, and for what purposes, we disclose your personal information, at the time we collect such information from you and obtain your consent to such disclosure.
If you are a customer, we may disclose your personal information to pharmacists, doctors, nurses, naturopaths, technicians, provincial drug plans, insurance providers or others involved in your circle of care (such as hospitals or your home operator) to facilitate the provision of your medications. This helps to coordinate care and ensure that everyone involved in your health care has the right information to meet your health care needs.
We may transfer your personal information to service providers that are assisting us with the Purposes, including those providers than deliver medications on our behalf. We ensure that those service providers are subject to appropriate privacy standards.
We obtain your consent prior to collecting, and in any case, prior to using or disclosing your personal information for any purpose – unless we are otherwise permitted to handle your personal information under applicable law. You may provide your consent to us either orally, electronically or in writing. The form of consent that we seek, including whether it is express or implied, will largely depend on the sensitivity of the personal information and the reasonable expectations you might have in the circumstances.
Where feasible or required by applicable law, we will generally accommodate requests to withdraw consent – subject to legal or contractual restrictions. However, this may mean that you are no longer eligible for certain goods or services, or to participate in certain programs – or otherwise limit our ability to fully meet your needs.
We will keep the personal information that we collect in our regional offices in Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia or Saskatchewan, and at the offices and data centres of our third party service providers, as applicable.
We will retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which that personal information was collected and as permitted or required by law.
We ensure that any service providers that handle personal information on our behalf are contractually required to observe the intent of this Privacy Statement and our privacy practices and to comply with applicable privacy laws.
We have implemented physical, organizational, contractual and technological security measures in an effort to protect your personal information from loss or theft, unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. For example:
- we restrict access to your personal information to those employees or agents who need access for authorized purposes;
- electronic data is protected by technological means, such as firewalls, access controls, and encryption;
- we sensitize our employees and agents to the importance of safeguarding personal information; and
- we confidentially destroy your personal information when we no longer need it for permitted purposes.
We may also require you to assist us to safeguard your personal information. For instance, if you use our applications or online portals, you should use unique and strong passwords, not share your passwords with others, and promptly alert us if you believe your password has been compromised.
If you make a written request to review any personal information about you that we have collected, utilized or disclosed, we will provide you with any such personal information to the extent required by law. We will attempt to make such personal information available to you in a form that is generally understandable.
We will attempt to ensure that your personal information is kept as accurate, complete and up-to- date as possible. We will not routinely update your personal information unless such a process is necessary. We expect you, from time to time, to supply us with written updates to your personal information, when required.
At any time, you can challenge the accuracy or completeness of your personal information in our records. If you successfully demonstrate that your personal information in our records is inaccurate or incomplete, we will amend the personal information as required. Where appropriate, we will transmit the amended information to third parties having access to your personal information.
We will attempt to respond to each of your written requests not later than 30 days after receipt of such requests. We will advise you in writing if we cannot meet your requests within this time limit. You have the right to make a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner of Canada or applicable provincial privacy commissioner if you object to how we have handled your request.
We will not charge any costs for you to access your personal information in our records without first providing you with an estimate of the approximate costs, if any.
We may request that you provide sufficient identification to permit access to the existence, use or disclosure of your personal information. We will only use that identifying information to help us respond to your request. If you are an agent of the individual that the personal information is about, we may require you to provide documentation to prove that you have the authority to act for that individual.
All comments, questions, concerns or complaints regarding your personal information or our privacy practices should be forwarded to our Privacy Officer as follows: